Wednesday 10 September 2014

Submarine

Remember ages ago when I was reading Submarine? Yeah well me neither but I thought I would do the review now anyway. 

"Meet Oliver Tate, 15. Convinced that his father is depressed ("Depression comes in bouts. Like boxing. Dad is in the blue corner") and his mother is having an affair with her capoeira teacher, "a hippy-looking twonk", he embarks on a hilariously misguided campaign to bring the family back together. Meanwhile, he is also trying to lose his virginity - before he turns sixteen - to his pyromaniac girlfriend Jordana. Will Oliver succeed in either aim? Submerge yourself in Submarine and find out..."

This book is hilarious, I may have only laughed out loud a few times but most it was read with a grin slapped on my face. Although, I couldn't help but cringe at the very clearly described sexual parts but its the sort of thing you take in your stride as you read something as intriguing as this. The story was odd, which was a factor I enjoyed (who wants a boring story) and the characters even odder which made me really like them, however I don't think a real life connection would happen. I wouldn't describe it as the best I've ever read but it is definitely very high up there. 
AND I have a shock for you all, I think the film was actually better than the book. It is very often said but I believe that in this case it is. I can't put my finger on why but it just is. The storyline in the film is similar but after both reading and watching 'Submarine' I wouldn't say they were the same. 'Inspired by' would be the phrase I think, but the film has shredded some of the original weirdness that the book held which has, in turn, changed the details of the story slightly and, if I was at gun point, I think that is what I would say has made the film better. Don't get me wrong though, I love the weirdness of the book and it is what makes the book 'Submarine' rather than just another book on a bookshelf.

I highly recommend you read this book at some point your life.
em,


No comments:

Post a Comment