Tuesday 17 June 2014

One Day

Cover
One Day is a novel written by David Nicholls and has to be one of the best books I have read in a while. I've often been in charity shops and secondhand bookshops and found at least one copy, if not more of the book and decided it mustn't be worth the read if it has appeared so many times in the secondhand shops, however, it really is worth a lot more. I purchased the book while on holiday a few weeks ago when I found it for 50p at an old house and decided to take the plunge. I opened the orange book and was immediately hooked, I think the main reason for this is because it displays the raw emotion in everyday life but without romanticising it, making the words on the page seem like real life rather than some fairytale life story which isn't actually going to happen to a large majority of people. I'd like to give an example of the lack of romanticism but I may end up ruining the story with my favourite line which is so straight to the point and leaves you sitting in shock but then you think, if you hadn't of been reading about them, you wouldn't really care, which is an idea this line really conveys. The burb outlines the story by saying: "15th July 1988. Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows? Twenty years, two people, one day." although, after graduation they don't go their separate ways at all, they go on a day trip and stay in contact afterwards, but, as the blurb says, each chapter is the same day but the next year onwards, a story telling method which I found very gratifying and enjoyable. I would, without a doubt, highly recommend this book if you are into the romantic or drama book genre and I guarantee that you will find yourself smiling, crying or even laughing along with the book (unless you have no empathy or feelings) and, as previously said, you can probably find this book in a secondhand bookshop, charity shop or in a regular bookshop. If you are wondering why the book is in so many secondhand shops then you may find out why people read and don't want to go through the roller-coaster of emotion again when you read it. There is also a film which stars Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess but, after watching the trailer, I can honestly say I'm not impressed. Although, just incase it does end up being better than I thought, I shall hunt it out and watch it. 


By the way, if you want to follow or add me on Goodreads my username is sunbran.  Here you can keep up with what I'm reading and my thoughts on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment